Wednesday, July 29, 2009

7/29/09 “Carpe Diem” !!


We have all heard the old Latin saying “Carpe Diem”, loosely translated to mean seize the day. I have always loved this saying and for the most part tried to live my life the best that I could to make the most out of each day. But after going thru cancer and all that treatments bring to the table that old Latin saying has certainly taken on new life for me. It’s hard to put into words, but when you start having little moments of feeling like your old self things you are used to doing can take on a new or more intensive meaning. As I have been getting out and performing this has certainly become the case. And even though I am still a long way from the end of the recovery process I am so thankful to be out playing music. It can be exhausting and because weight has been hard to gain I really need a fair amount of help with hauling, setting up and breaking down sound. It looks like I will be able to do most of the summer performances, but I have had to cancel a few performances where I would be by myself for several nights in a row without help. But everyday takes on its own new meaning, and although we all know that life is finite and we have no guarantees in life, the moment, the day, this day becomes ever so sweeter. The photo this week is with my good friend Tom Hodgson at a concert we did in Brewerton NY last week . Last weekend we played for the Cranberry Dulcimer festival and this week I will be traveling with Peggy and doing some concerts with Peg and Dan Berggren later this week and this weekend. Eating is still the main issue but I am doing my best to get as many calories as I can, and I am in the process of writing some sort of soft food song !!! Slowly my energy level is coming back but it will be a while before my energy is back to what used to be normal. But the good news is that I am getting little pieces of that kind of energy every once in a while and music is usually involved. Stay tuned.

It has been wonderful to see so many of you as we are out doing concerts and workshops, it brings up to me the kindness and generosity that has been shown to Peggy and I this winter and spring. And for that I am forever grateful. Remember to make the most of every day, today is your day !! Carpe Diem !! I’ll look forward to seeing many of you as the summer progresses and in the meantime I’ll look for you at 7:00.

5 comments:

  1. At the Glen Store Thursday night dinner, a bunch of us got to talking about "comfort food" and it was all soft stuff. Hope your food gives you comfort as well as nourishment! The talk was also of music and moments we remembered. Both you and Peggy were mentioned and we all hoped we get to see you soon. So indeed seize this moment, know you are loved, and find healing in the joy your music brings to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan -
    I hope your new song has lots of chocolate in it. Milkshakes, pudding, pie - chocolate pie with fresh whipped cream, cocoa with a ton of the best dark stuff shaved right in.
    Look forward to seeing you and Peggy at one of your performances around here.
    Susan
    from Franklin Falls

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought "Carpe Diem" meant "Seize the Carp"; I always wondered why people were so positive about fishing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, it was so great to see you play last night - you were ROCKIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of you throughout the summer, but haven't been near a computer much to see your blog. Your spirit and positive attitude are an inspiration -
    Here's hoping each day continues to get better.
    Peace-
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete